Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Skywriting

I would like to thank patricia A murray, editor of The Durham Skywriter, for letting me contribute to her free community newspaper. It comes out monthly and can be picked up all over town. I get mine from Sips Coffee and Tea on University Drive. I would also like to thank Carrie Mowry with Preservation Durham, for encouraging her to let me on board. I think it helps that I’m doing it for fun instead of money and that pat is an avid gardener herself.

I have written two “Garden Shed” columns, both centering on seasonal and practical advice as gleaned from a curious and amateur gardener. I am looking forward to volunteering more articles in the coming months.

In the meantime, I will use this post to duplicate my call to readers from the December issue………

I am collecting your garden stories, experiences, or backyard observations about a few tried and true pass-along-plants. Some of these old fashioned favorites can be found at the store or nursery, but many have been handed down from friends and family. Please send any first or second hand comments you may have about this sample list that I am working on for future articles:
-Ginger lily
-Crinium lily
-Rain lily
-Confederate Rose hibiscus (“cotton rose”)
-Japanese Kerria (“Easter rose”, “kerry rose”)
-Four ‘o clocks
-Pomegranate
-Rose of Sharon
-Fuzzy deutzia
-Turk’s Cap lily
Please email me at piedmontplots@gmail.com if you would like to share.

No comments:

Blog Archive