Wednesday, April 28, 2010

late april pics: from the Culberson Asiatic Arboretum

There are many more pictures I could show from this wonderful section of the Sarah Duke Gardens but I don't always have my camera handy. And the trouble is, sometimes when I don't have my camera I tend to relax and enjoy my hike even more. Often I see a picture before long before I end up taking it- like this Chinese fringe tree. Its showy white blooms are more attention-grabbing than our native version. Not that I don't like natives. I am just calling it like I see it.
The second picture is of young winter hazel leaves (Corylopsis spicata). I really wish I had taken some shots of the blooms from a couple of months ago. Like it's relative the witch hazel, it is blooms on bare wood. I  am not a botanist so don't hold me to any taxonomical quotes on this witch hazel/winter hazel relationship.....I don't have time to wiki it, (or better yet, break out the Hortus III).


No comments:

Blog Archive